CincyJungle Poster BonnieBengal Nails It. Bengals Flatout Looked Intimidated.

16 Submitted by on Wed, 15 September 2010, 08:30

BonnieBengal: "They were intimidated."

While on hold yesterday with Scrapbooking Magazine – trying to renew my yearly subscription – I was struggling to find just the right word to describe the Bengals play on Sunday.

Bumblingly I came up with words like “tentative” … “flat” … “uninspired” … etc. … lame stuff like that. Then I read BonnieBengal’s take at CincyJungle. BOOOOOOOOM. She nailed it – Intimidated.

“The Bengals, from the coaches on down, went into New England expecting to lose. So they did,” blogs BonnieBengal. Despite being clobbered with a “you’re crazy” by another CincyJungle poster, to me they appeared intimidated, which is “tentative” on steroids.

Getting outplayed is one thing. Being intimidated is another.

What’s your take? In addition to whatever else was at play that resulted in a poor performance, were the Bengals also INTIMIDATED on Sunday? Or are the Pats simply that much better than Cincinnati?

Written by

16 Responses to "CincyJungle Poster BonnieBengal Nails It. Bengals Flatout Looked Intimidated."
  1. 2Coy2bBacon says:

Yes there is a big part of this team that doesn’t believe in itself and are intimdated by teams that do. It has to do with Mike Brown the 1990s and the Bungles label. The Bengals lack a swagger needed in the NFL.

2. downlineman says:

I agree. Talent levels aside the Bengals looked intimidated by the moment. For whatever reason that game was too big for the players and coaches. Not a good sign.

3. Houdino says:

It’s me. Mr. Contrarian, again. Hard to imagine a team full of talented, confident NFL players being intimidated. Tentative? Yes. Confused? You bet. Unprepared and out-coached? Thoroughly. But intimidated? They played like it, but I seriously doubt it. I mean, they were lethargic too. That doesn’t mean they were popping Valium on the sidelines.

4. Timzilla says:

Yo Ms. Contrarian,

I think that’s Bonnie’s point … they weren’t “confident.” Like I said, “intimidated” is kinda like “tentative” on steriods. Ya’d think a 10-6 playoff team would certainly have the talent level to at least not get totally unload on. I agree, unprepared and out-coached … but it seems there was a lot more not working on Sunday. Question is – is it fixable?

5. DonnerTheBlitzer says:

Intimidated, nervous, tentative, apprehensive, call it want you want. This has happened often under Lewis. They come out stinking in the firsth half and then get going in the second. I don’t know why.

6. Houdino says:

Ms. Contrarian? Well played, ‘Zilla. Well played. And yes, I think it’s definitely fixable. It’s called a testicle implant. I think the Oddbounces health plan covers this at 100 percent (or so Nuff told me!). And if that doesn’t work, further humiliation on TV should be the nail in the intimidation coffin.

7. Higgy Smalls says:

If we look at the definition – intimidated = scared, threatened. This makes it interesting because I don’t think they were scared but they were definitely threatened. Threatened by their preparation for the game, the coaching, the inability to get pressure on one of the best QBs there is, threatened by their own self-doubt.

Houdino – the health plan in section B subset C clearly states “tentacle implants”, not “testicle”. I have NO idea what Nuff had done but let’s drop it OK.

8. JasSmitty says:

I thought the defense looked lost. Maybe intimidated or maybe nervous. But definately lost. The offense just looked out of sync the first half. Pass blocking and run blocking was off. On Bengals.com Bratkowski said the Pats defense didn’t go prevent until the last few plays. If that’s true the passing game was a positive.

9. Timzilla says:

Higgers …

“Threatened by their preparation for the game, the coaching, the inability to get pressure on one of the best QBs there is, threatened by their own self-doubt.”

Very well stated, young Jedi blogger in training. Versus Baltimore will be interesting. Good teams never lay back to back eggs.

10. Houdino says:

1. So far, I think JasSmitty has said it best…they looked “lost.”
    2. Higgy, you’re right. I read the policy incorrectly. It is “tentacle implant.” Which explains how Nuf’s open fly and his uncanny ability to grab bread rolls off the plate without using his hands.

11. Houdino says:

1. So far, JasSmitty has said it best…they looked lost. Waaaaay deep in the woods lost.
    2. Higgy, you’re right. I read the policy incorrectly. It is “tentacle implant.” Which explains Nuf’s open fly and his uncanny ability to grab bread rolls off the plate without using his hands.

12. Higgy Smalls says:

Houdino – thanks…I just spit partially masticated peanuts all over my keyboard with the Nuff tentacle bread grabbing thing you said.

Zillaman – are you saying the Bengals are one of those good teams who won’t lay back to back eggs or are you just saying it will be interesting to see if they do? I think it will be a very close game.

13. Timzilla says:

Higgers, I too say it’ll be close. Unlike a lot of band wagon jumpers, I do see talent on this team, and I think I expect them to win Sunday. I just can’t see Baltimore coming in and steamrolling the Bengals. But I need another night to sleep on it 🙂

14. BonnieBengal says:

Thanks for the props! I think the attitude on this team from now on and what should be communicated from the coaches is “I don’t care who they were or what they’ve done before, we are gonna go out and kick their asses NOW.”

On another note: Can I use the cool half girl/half Bengal picture for my avatar?

15. Houdino says:

I agree. I still think the Bengals win. The boys have had the Ravens’ number for some time now. The D has to shine. But it’s a very close game.

16. Timzilla says:

Hi Bonnie-B …

Will be interesting to see how the game unfolds Sunday. I suspect Zimmer is doing just as you suggest – “go out and kick their asses NOW.”

I just sent you the half/half jpg for your avatar … enjoy! 🙂